If you have read the last 2 post, you would know that I am sharing the dishes I made to celebrate Dashmi--the last day of Durga Puja. For starter I had MULLIGATAWNY SOUP WITH TOASTED BREAD AND PEA PESTO, the first main course was CILANTRO RICE WITH TANGY GRAVY & SPICY FRIED FISH and now the final course.
When I was in Shillong, the Dashmi day used to be totally busy and fun-filled. We had to get up early and go to the pandals to see 'Shidoor-Khela' -- its the final ritual before the immersion. The married ladies would apply vermilion on the feet , banglesand forhead of the goddess and then give her some sweets, the best part is when the ladies start applying vermilion on each other......in a way they look very beautiful :) . The student would go for 'Boi Chuwano' -- they would take all the books and place it on the goddess feet , to seek her blessing for the upcoming exams... :) . Anyways after that we would come home and all of us would sit down for the heavy lunch of atleast 7-8 items both savory and sweet. And all those dishes would be created by Mamoni(Mom) before she went for the 'Shidoor-Khela'....great right..!!!! . In the evening we would go to visit the relatives and stuff ourselves with more sweets. Finally at night we be enjoying some cultural meet....So much fun..!!!
According to me, being away from home during the festivals is very bad idea but at times things dont work in our favor and this year it worked against me. I was stuck here all alone :( however I decided to celebrate it with my best companion - food.
Anyways let get back to the dish , for my final course I decided to make a lamb dish. Every family has some tradition going on for ever and so do we. Since my childhood I have heard that on the Dashmi day , we should not have chicken and we have to make meat(lamb/mutton) only. Although my dad cannot eat meat(lamb/mutton) due to his health condition this tradition is still followed , and so I thought of sticking to it.
The very next question that came to my head was how do I make it,I mean I have made mutton earlier but as always wanted to try something new. I was tilted toward Mutton Rogan Josh , thats mainly cause I like it and also I have never tried making it at home. So I did some research and found out all the various version of the dish and I decided to try the Kashmiri Version--- I had noted down all the ingredients necessary and I even bought eveything. However when the cooking time came something happened in between and I dropped the plan of making Rogan Josh WHY??? I dont know....this just keeps happening to me, I would plan something and end up making something else.... :) . So I ended up making a new mutton dish. Also made some crispy fried tomatoes, had seen the dish in a cookery show called Chuck's Day Off sometime back and had been planning to try it. So what's the last course, well it is ---- Nutty Mutton & Crispy Fried Green Tomato with Rice...!!!
|FOR NUTTY MUTTON|
|Mutton (medium sized)||500 gms|
|Onion||2 medium sized|
|Ginger-Garlic paste||1 tablespoon|
|Dried red chilly||5-6 number|
|Cumin Seed||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||As per taste|
|FOR CRISPY FRIED GREEN TOMATOES|
|Green Tomatoes||2-3 numbers|
|Red Chilly Flakes||1 teaspoon|
|Dried Basil||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||As per taste|
- Soak the dried red chilly in a bowl of warm water for at least 10 min.
- Dry roast the nuts - almond, pistachio and cashewnut over low flame till the are done.
- Blend together the roasted nuts, raisins and the soaked dried red chilly with little water till it forms a smooth paste.
- Separately blend the onion and ginger-garlic paste to form a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seed. Then add the onion paste and cook till it done.
- Add the mutton pieces to the pan; add salt and cover the pan for 10 min.
- Whisk the yogurt to the spicy nut paste till it gets smooth.
- Pour the yogurt-nut paste to the cooking mutton and let it cook for 20 min.
- Add some water and salt to the cooking mutton, cover the pot and let it simmer in low heat for at least 1 & half hour.
- When the mutton is soften, remove the cover and let it cook till the sauce thickens and is no longer running.
CRISPY FRIED GREEN TOMATOES:-
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes in cross-section into 1/2 inch slices.
- Beat the egg in a bowl with a pinch of salt. And spread out the flour in a plate.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a different plate. Add salt,chilly flakes and dried parsley to the crumbs and mix them properly.
- Coat the tomato pieces with flour. then dip it in the egg and coat it.
- Finally coat the egg dipped tomato pieces in the breadcrumb mixture and press slightly so that the crumbs stick to the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, and fry the tomato pieces till the pieces are properly done and crunchy.