Sunday, January 15, 2012

1st BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION WITH 'SALAD RICE WITH SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN'


A year has passed by and along came in 2012 with lot of new hopes and dreams. Wishing you all a Great New Year Ahead.......may every moment be filled with joy and hope all your dreams come true....!!!!

It’s been more than a month that I wrote anything. Did I lose the excitement......No way; rather I was caught in the hands of faith. I met with an accident and was in bed-rest all this time. Sadly I missed a lot of important and fun occasions in the process --- I missed to celebrate my blog's birthday, SORRY BUON APPETITO :( , I missed the new year celebration and I even spent my birthday lying in bed. Well no use crying over spilt milk, today I started cooking and I decided to making something that celebrates my cooking experiments and it’s my way of saying sorry to my blog for missing out on her birthday :) . Do join me to wish BUON APPETITO a very Happy 1st Birthday. I just cannot believe that one year has passed by and I had a lot of fun with you (BUON APPETITO).


Before I begin with the recipe I want to share the story behind my blog. I was always interested in cooking since childhood but I have started serious cooking some 6-7 years back ---after I moved out of my home and I was tired of eating out. Over the years I had treated my friends & family now and they would always encourage me a lot. My friends would often ask for my recipes and it got me thinking that I should have a space where I could note down my recipes and everyone could access it. During the same time, my younger brother started blogging and he explained me all about it and it seemed to be a great idea........and I started my first blogs -VERSATILITY.

In a few days I realized that blog could be a great way of noting my recipes and anyone could access them easily if they wanted. With this thought in head I came to office on December 18th, 2010 and I determined to start my recipe blog. However I didn’t know what to name it and the whole day in office I kept thinking about it, I even involved my younger sister in the process. At night 11:00pm it struck me.......I had read an article sometime back, that Italians never start their meal without wishing "BUON APPETITO" meaning 'Enjoy your Meal' to all and it felt just perfect. I have some fascination with everything Italian---the architecture, food, men everything stands out in my eyes :) . And I want everyone to enjoy my dishes.....so my blog is named "BUON APPETITO".


I started blogging with no knowledge about it. I thought blog is only for personal entries---that’s what I saw in Movies, I didn’t even know that there are other peoples who blog about recipes. Over the last year I discovered the blogger community; I met many wonderful people and loved the experience.

Now let’s move to the recipe---SALAD RICE with SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN. I wanted to make something special to celebrate the birthday......however I was torn between trying something new or revisiting an old recipe. Finally I decided to make this dish.....it has a great importance to me. This is the dish that marked the beginning of my journey with kitchen. The first time I made it was some 4 years back just for me.....and then I had it again for my parents some 2 years back. Today when I made the dish I had made a few changes and I liked the variation.

Print Page


FOR SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN 
Chicken thighs 8 pieces
Potatoes 2 medium sized
Carrots 2 medium sized
Red Onion1 large
Ginger-garlic paste 2 teaspoons
Grape Juice1 cup
Lime Juice1/2 of a Lime
Honey1 tablespoon
Tomato puree1/2 tablespoon
Paprika3 teaspoons
SaltAs per taste
Ground-Nut Oil2 tablespoons


FOR SALAD RICE 
Basmati Rice  2 cups
Onion 1 large sized
Carrot 1 large sized
Cucumber1 medium sized
Tomato2 medium sized
Yogurt4-5 tablespoons
Lime Juice1 number
Turmeric powder1/2 teaspoon
Paprika1 teaspoon
SaltAs per taste
Ground-Nut Oil2 tablespoons


    SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN:-
  1. Marinate the chicken thighs in a bowl with salt, 1 teaspoon paprika and lime juice. Let it stand for 15-20 min.
  2. Chop the vegetables --potato, carrot and onion, in medium sized cubes.
  3. In a large pan, add oil and fry the chicken till it get golden. Remove the pieces in a foil and fold the foil so that the chicken pieces stay warm.
  4. In the same pan, add the ginger-garlic paste and fry. Add the cubed vegetables and lightly fry them.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk together paprika, tomato puree, honey and line juice. Pour the liquid mixture in the pan. 
  6. Add the warm, fried chicken pieces to the cooking pan and cooking again for 4-5 minutes; see that every vegetable and chicken are properly coated with the liquid mixture.
  7. Pour the grape juice to the pan; let it cook on medium heat till the chicken and vegetable are cooked and the liquid is a evaporated.

    SALAD RICE:-
  1. Heat oil in a large pot; add the rice to the pot and fry it for 5-6 min.
  2. Whisk together the yogurt, turmeric powder, paprika and salt in a bowl.
  3. Pour the yogurt mixture to the frying rice, mix well and let it cool for 6-7 min.
  4. Add water to the pot and let the rice cook.
  5. Chop the onion, carrot, cucumber and tomato into small cubes. 
  6. Add lime zest. lime juice and salt to the chopped vegetables and let it stand for 10 min.
  7. Mix the tangy vegetables to the cooked rice.
         
The tangy Salad Rice with Sweet and Spicy Chicken makes a great combination.

Priyanka

20 comments:

Wish you a very happy Blog Birthday sweetie :) Hope you are doing well now and keep smiling :)

Happy many happy blog birthday dear... Its a complete main course item .. Looks delicious..

Happy blog anniversary, wat a super tempting and inviting spread..

what a fabulous combination of salad rice and chicken! looks delicious...Happy blog anniversary...

congrats on the milestone! salad rice sounds lovely & refreshing :)

Happy bday to ur blog!!!! And this platter looks mighty tempting!!
rathima Rao
Praats Corner

Happy Anniversary to your blog!!! So nice to see you posting again...especially with two delicious recipes! They both look wonderful!

Happy blog birthday and keep rocking...sweet and spicy chicken looks so yummy...

Congratulations on the official birthday of your blog. I do hope you are on the mend and feeling better. Have a good evening. Blessings...Mary

Happy blog birthday dear! Hope you're getting better and continue to post more yummy recipes in due course. What a fantastic and finger licking meal!

Congratulations on your blog anniversary sweety, your rice dish looks very delicious.

Congratulations!! on the 1st birthday of your blog. It is a wonderful experience and I am so blessed that we are blogging friends. You have wonderful dishes that you prepare and share. I wish I could taste them all.
I am sorry that you were not feeling well and am glad to see you back. Please stay well.
Blessings, Catherine xo

Salad rice sounds new and unique to me,delicious

it looks delicious and so sorry to hear about your accident

Delicious salad rice n mouthwatering presentation.Congrats on your blog Ist anniversary.

Congrats on your milestone dear..
wishing you all success..:)
happy blogversary..!
love your presentation & lively writeup..
mouthwatery chicken curry & cliks
Tasty Appetite

Congrats on hitting milestone.....love the recipe..it's simple and indulging.....hey nice makeover to the blog....

Happy Birthday to your blog! So glad you're feeling better. I'm sure this dish helped the healing process along; it looks delicious!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More