Thursday, April 14, 2011

SOYABEAN KADHI with SPICY COCONUT RICE


Finally...... I could get my net connection today. Over this last 2 weeks I have realised that I am so dependent on net ,imagine one whole day without visiting your facebook or chatting with friends or posting to the blog......and multiply with 15....so now you know how i have felt............OH!!!! MY GOD......it was UNBEARABLE  :( . Anyways m back now and hope you all missed me :D . 

Today I have a very simple and yet a deicious recipe to share.....its mainly 'Kadhi' and its an all time favourite among the North-Indians I have met so far. I am a Bengali and we are not very familiar with this dish so how I came to know or like the dish is a wonderful story.

When I was in Junior College (Class XI) I had a Gujarati friend, one fine day she invited me and a few other friends for dinner to her place. Aunty had prepared 'Kadhi-Chawal', now we bengalis' are big foodies....we can never eat just rice and one item, we always need at least 3 items to feel full :D , so I was lost.......however when i started having.....UUUHHHLALA!!!! it was yummy. Unfortunately at that time I was not into cooking so I didnt ask how it was prepared although I would often ask my mom to find out and prepare it.

Time passed and I started working, at that time I had a sweet friend called Ichha....She had invited me to dinner ones and to my utter surprise and pleasure she had prepared 'Kadhi-Chawal'.....and it was YUMMY.....all my childhood memories just came back. And I didnt miss this oppurtunity.....she explained me how to make the dish. 
Since then every other day I would make Kadhi and have tried out a lot of variations. Surprising now my North-Indian friends love the Kadhi that I prepare, the best part was when I made it for my mom....she said so finally u found it and learnt it....she totally loved it  :) 

Anyways my storytelling is over so lets get into business...today's variation is called ---- Soyabean Kadhi with Spicy Coconut Rice.  


Print Page
FOR SOYABEAN KADHI
Buttermilk
1 number(500 gms)
Gram flour
2 cups
Turmeric Powder
1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder
2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder 
Half teaspoon
Soyabean Nuggets
3 cups
Lime Juice
Half of a lime
Black Mustard Seed
Half tablespoon
Dried Red Chilly
3 pieces
Vegetable Oil
2 tablespoon
Salt
As per taste


FOR SPICY COCONUT RICE
Basmati Rice 2 cup
Onion julienne 1 cup
Green chilly finely chopped 2numbers
Garam masala Half tablespoon
Red Chili Powder
2 tablespoon
Turmeric Powder
Half tablespoon
Coconut milk
2 cup
Coconut water
Half cup
Vegetable Oil
2 tablespoon
Salt
As per taste


    SOYABEAN KADHI:-
  1. Soak the soyabean nuggets in luke warm water till the nuggets get soften. Then squeeze the water out.
  2. Heat one tablespoon oil to a pan, to the pan add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
  3. Add the soft soyabean nuggets to the pan and cook till nuggets are properly fried. Then remove it to a bowl and pat with tissue to remove any excess oil.
  4. In a bowl , whisk together buttermilk and gram flour till the mixture turn smooth without any lumps. I was experimenting with buttermilk but you can use yogurt too.
  5. Add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,cumin powder and salt to the buttermilk mixture and whisk them again till it turn smooth.
  6. Add lime juice to the mixture and whisk it thoroughly.
  7. Heat one tablespoon oil to a pan, add the black mustard seeds and let it sputter. Then add the dried red chilly and fry.
  8. Add the buttermilk mixture to the pan and bring it to a boil and simmer on a slow fire for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  9. Add the fried soyabean nuggets and again simmer the  kadhi for about 5 minutes.
SPICY COCONUT RICE:-
  1. Soak the Basmati rice in water for 10-15 min. Then remove it from water and spread it out on a paper so that the water is soaked up.
  2. Heat oil in a cooker, add onion and green chilly ; fry till the onions turn translucent.
  3. Add the soaked and dried basmati rice to the cooker and cook for 5 min. Stir occasionally and very softly or the rice would break.
  4. Take about half cup water and add the tumeric powder and red chilli powder  and mix till smooth,
  5. Add the spice mixture to the rice and stir softly.
  6. Then add the coconut milk and let it simmer in medium flame.
  7. When the rice gets a little soften add the coconut water and let it cook. Water may be needed if the rice is not cook, I needed about 1 cup. 

The North meets South dish is ready for tasting.......it would be wonder after a days work in office :)  .

Priyanka


11 comments:

Soyabean kadhi with spicy coconut rice looks so delicious and wonderful !!

I have never had this before! It looks yummy!!! Priyanka, I enjoy reading your blog so much that I am giving you an award. You can retrieve it here: http://www.manusmenu.com/tuna-dip-antipasto-di-tonno

Both looks wonderful especially that soya kadhi sounds absolutely unique..

This looks delicious! The combination of those spices sounds so yummy good!

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and for you lovely comment..appreciated...You too have a lovely space here ..Glad to follow you.

Lovely. The lime juice must be a nice surprise in the delicious flavor.

The kadhi looks great, i usually make a plain kadhi or make lauki pakodas to toss in before serving. I'd love to try this soyabean variation!

U hv a wonderful space dear..visit mine as time permits..dish looks super yummy n tempting...drooling..
Sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

When Arvid told me about Kadhi.. i was like bleh!! I told him I will make it for you but I will probably make a back up dish too. The back dish was nit even touched and we both ate kadhi chawal. It has become my fav too :)
www.sunshineandsmile.com

I just loved you adding the soy chunks to the kadhi..I soo want to try it :-)
Thank u 4 visiting my space and leaving such lovely comments..!! you have a good collection here:-)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More