All my life the one meal I have skipped is Breakfast....I know it the most important meal of the day and all, but somehow I rarely feel like eating in the morning. One glass of milk is more than enough for me. I have been advised against this by so many people but somehow I just could not However things do change at times, and I woke up hungry today..!!! I think its due to the Masterchef Australia....just before sleeping off thats what I watched and was tempted with all the wonderful creations and may be thats what made me hungry.. :)
Whenever I make breakfast it would be either of those -- french toast or pancake. So following the same habit I decided to make some type of French Toast, that when I remember a French Toast idea by one of my fav. cook Nigella Lawson. A new series of her cooking - Nigella Kitchen had started in TLC some time back and they would have a repeat telecast at 3:00am.....during those days I would actually make it a point to leave office by 2:30am so that I am in time for the show.... :) . Honestly, its not only her recipes that captivates me but also they way she presents it.....in my opinion, she encourages everyone to cook.
Lets get back to the dish....I had twigged her recipe a little to suit my taste buds and definately to fit in the ingredients that were available... :) Hence my version of Vanilla soaked French Toast with Poached Plums was created... This is the first time I tried a sweet French Toast and totally loved it. As I was totally packed for the last few weeks with new releases in office and final exams and final project submission.....this was a great way to relax myself... :)
|FOR FRENCH TOAST|
|White Bread Slice||4 numbers|
|Caster Sugar||1 tablespoon|
|Vanilla Essence||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||Only a pinch|
|Oil||Enough to coat the base of pan|
|FOR POACHED PLUMS|
|Large Plums||8 numbers|
|Black grape juice||1 cup|
|Caster Sugar||Half cup|
|Cinnamon Stick||1 stick|
|Nutmeg||A small quantity grated|
|Salt||Only a pinch|
- In a large plate; mix milk , egg , vanilla essence , caster suger and salt thoroughly.
- Place the bread on the plate let it soak for 5 min.
- Turn the bread pieces over and soak the other side for 5 min more.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and place the soaked-up bread pieces and it fry over medium heat.
- Fry the bread pieces from side-to side till it looks crunchy on top and soft(not soggy) in the center.
- Cut the plums into halves.
- In a wide saucepan, add half cup water and caster suger and let it cook in medium flames till the suger dissolves.
- Add the black grape juice to the saucepan and let it cook for 2 min.
- Then add cinnamon stick ,nutmeg and salt to the saucepan and let it boil till the mixture becomes syrupy.
- Bring the saucepan out of flames, and arrange the plums in it.
- Poach the plums in low heat for 10 min or till the plums are tender.
- In a plate, arrange the French Toast. Place the Poached Plums on the toast.
- Add the sweet-sour sauce on and around the toast.
A hot cup of Masala tea with the sweet and sour French Toast was a great start for the weekend. :)