A year has passed by and along came in 2012 with lot of new hopes and dreams. Wishing you all a Great New Year Ahead.......may every moment be filled with joy and hope all your dreams come true....!!!!
It’s been more than a month that I wrote anything. Did I lose the excitement......No way; rather I was caught in the hands of faith. I met with an accident and was in bed-rest all this time. Sadly I missed a lot of important and fun occasions in the process --- I missed to celebrate my blog's birthday, SORRY BUON APPETITO :( , I missed the new year celebration and I even spent my birthday lying in bed. Well no use crying over spilt milk, today I started cooking and I decided to making something that celebrates my cooking experiments and it’s my way of saying sorry to my blog for missing out on her birthday :) . Do join me to wish BUON APPETITO a very Happy 1st Birthday. I just cannot believe that one year has passed by and I had a lot of fun with you (BUON APPETITO).
Before I begin with the recipe I want to share the story behind my blog. I was always interested in cooking since childhood but I have started serious cooking some 6-7 years back ---after I moved out of my home and I was tired of eating out. Over the years I had treated my friends & family now and they would always encourage me a lot. My friends would often ask for my recipes and it got me thinking that I should have a space where I could note down my recipes and everyone could access it. During the same time, my younger brother started blogging and he explained me all about it and it seemed to be a great idea........and I started my first blogs -VERSATILITY.
In a few days I realized that blog could be a great way of noting my recipes and anyone could access them easily if they wanted. With this thought in head I came to office on December 18th, 2010 and I determined to start my recipe blog. However I didn’t know what to name it and the whole day in office I kept thinking about it, I even involved my younger sister in the process. At night 11:00pm it struck me.......I had read an article sometime back, that Italians never start their meal without wishing "BUON APPETITO" meaning 'Enjoy your Meal' to all and it felt just perfect. I have some fascination with everything Italian---the architecture, food, men everything stands out in my eyes :) . And I want everyone to enjoy my dishes.....so my blog is named "BUON APPETITO".
I started blogging with no knowledge about it. I thought blog is only for personal entries---that’s what I saw in Movies, I didn’t even know that there are other peoples who blog about recipes. Over the last year I discovered the blogger community; I met many wonderful people and loved the experience.
Now let’s move to the recipe---SALAD RICE with SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN. I wanted to make something special to celebrate the birthday......however I was torn between trying something new or revisiting an old recipe. Finally I decided to make this dish.....it has a great importance to me. This is the dish that marked the beginning of my journey with kitchen. The first time I made it was some 4 years back just for me.....and then I had it again for my parents some 2 years back. Today when I made the dish I had made a few changes and I liked the variation.
|FOR SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN|
|Chicken thighs||8 pieces|
|Potatoes||2 medium sized|
|Carrots||2 medium sized|
|Red Onion||1 large|
|Ginger-garlic paste||2 teaspoons|
|Grape Juice||1 cup|
|Lime Juice||1/2 of a Lime|
|Tomato puree||1/2 tablespoon|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Ground-Nut Oil||2 tablespoons|
|FOR SALAD RICE|
|Basmati Rice||2 cups|
|Onion||1 large sized|
|Carrot||1 large sized|
|Cucumber||1 medium sized|
|Tomato||2 medium sized|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Ground-Nut Oil||2 tablespoons|
SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN:-
- Marinate the chicken thighs in a bowl with salt, 1 teaspoon paprika and lime juice. Let it stand for 15-20 min.
- Chop the vegetables --potato, carrot and onion, in medium sized cubes.
- In a large pan, add oil and fry the chicken till it get golden. Remove the pieces in a foil and fold the foil so that the chicken pieces stay warm.
- In the same pan, add the ginger-garlic paste and fry. Add the cubed vegetables and lightly fry them.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together paprika, tomato puree, honey and line juice. Pour the liquid mixture in the pan.
- Add the warm, fried chicken pieces to the cooking pan and cooking again for 4-5 minutes; see that every vegetable and chicken are properly coated with the liquid mixture.
- Pour the grape juice to the pan; let it cook on medium heat till the chicken and vegetable are cooked and the liquid is a evaporated.
- Heat oil in a large pot; add the rice to the pot and fry it for 5-6 min.
- Whisk together the yogurt, turmeric powder, paprika and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the yogurt mixture to the frying rice, mix well and let it cool for 6-7 min.
- Add water to the pot and let the rice cook.
- Chop the onion, carrot, cucumber and tomato into small cubes.
- Add lime zest. lime juice and salt to the chopped vegetables and let it stand for 10 min.
- Mix the tangy vegetables to the cooked rice.
The tangy Salad Rice with Sweet and Spicy Chicken makes a great combination.