Saturday, June 25, 2011

MANGO UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE


The fun of cooking multiples several times with the presence of family. Staying here all alone I have been missing those funs, now that my Mamoni and my younger sister Anna are here I am having a blast..... :) 

19th June was my elder brother's birthday, when we wished him he wanted me to make Strawberry Cake for mom and my sister. But am sorry Dadabhai as I could not fulfill ur wish.......I could not find  Strawberries in market however I did make a new type of cake.
Summers are wonderful in Bangalore coz the heat is not scroching and the best part is that we get mangoes everywhere. And its one of my favourite fruit, but with the change in my office timing I didnt time to buy them. Finally just before mom came I had cut down on sleep and got those lovely, plumby , yellow mangoes.......YUMMY...!!!! :D

Mangoes have loads of health benefits, that is the reason its called the "king of fruit". It is rich in amino acids, vitamin C and E, flavonoids, beta carotene, niacin, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium.Let me share some of the health benefits I have read;
  1. The phenolic compound found in mangoes has been found to have powerful antioxidant and anticancer properties.  
  2. Eating mangoes regularly prevents night blindness, refractive errors, dryness of the eyes, softening of the cornea, itching and burning in the eyes.
  3.  Mangoes contain digestive enzymes that help break down proteins and aid digestion.Due to the high amounts of fiber found in mango, it can be a helpful in keeping you regular, thereby helping or preventing constipation.
  4. Mango is effective in relieving clogged pores of the skin.Eating mango regularly makes the complexion fair and the skin soft and shining.
  5. Mango leaves help normalize insulin levels in the blood.It does not have any significant effect in increasing blood sugar levels.
  6. Mangoes are useful to children who lack concentration in studies as it contains Glutamine acid which is good to boost memory and keep cells active. 
  7. Unripe mangoes, a rich source of pectin, when steamed and juiced with cumin (jeera), rock salt and sugar, provide an excellent remedy for heat stroke and heat exhaustion in summer.
  8. Mangoes can be beneficial for people wanting to gain weight. A 100 gram of mango contains about 75 calories.
Now I know I dont really need to have mangoes but the heart wants what it wants.. :D . When I saw those lovely mangoes , I really didnt think about the health benefits I thought of trying out something new and different . I had planned to make Mango Cake and when my elder brother asked me to treat mom and my sister I decided to try the cake. Now I wanted to try the cake with a twist and so I created Mango Upside Down Cake.... !!!!!


Print Page
FOR MANGO CARAMEL
Water Half cup
Sugar 1 cup
Lemon Juice Half slice
Butter
1 tablespoon
Mango 1 medium sized

FOR MANGO CAKE
Mango 1 medium sized
Sugar 1 cup
Eggs 2 number
Flour 1 cup
Baking Powder 1 tablespoon
Nutmeg As per taste
Butter 50 gms
Oil Half cup
                              
    MANGO CARAMEL PREPARATION:-
  1. Heat water , lemon juice and sugar in a baking dish that can be placed over the gas as well. Cook till it caramelizes.
  2. Cut the mangoes into strip shapes.
  3. After the caramel cools down slightly place the mango strips in the dish in a single layer.
MANGO CAKE PREPARATION :-
  1. Blend together mango and sugar till it form a smooth mango pulp.Whisk the eggs separately till it get fluffy. 
  2. To the egg add the smooth mango pulp and whisk again. Whisk the soften butter and oil to the wet mixture as well .
  3. Sift the flour , baking powder and grated nutmeg thoroughly.
  4. Mix the wet and dry mixture properly using a spatula till it forms a smooth mixture.
ASSEMBLING :-
  1. Carefully add the mango batter to the baking dish having the caramelized mango.
  2. Bake for about 45-50 minutes in oven at 220 degree Celcius or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 
  3. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn it out onto a serving dish.
                   
The gorgeous,sticky,yummy Mango Upside-Down Cake is ready for the tummy.... :D

Priyanka

20 comments:

Wonderful idea,looks delicious and tempting cake

Omg, utterly delicious and wonderful looking cake..yumm!

Simply mouthwatering upside down cake. Very tempting to look at.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Most divine looking & yummy mango cake!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

This looks so yummy! I'm have a recipe only link party "Cast Party Wednesday" and this would be perfect. Would you come over and share some of your recipes with us?
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

I adore mango and this recipe is one I'm going to try as it looks delish. I have been on a huge mango kick lately and I'd love for you to check out one of my recent mango recipes, Mango Gazpacho.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Thanks for linking up your recipe at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share some more of your awesome recipes!
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Delicious mango cake looks so yummy.

That's a really great idea! Love the caramelized mango.

I need more mango in my life. This looks super!

hi Priyanka, this is mouth-watering, ripe mangoes are also my favorite and during summer this is our regular fruit dessert, thanks for visiting..
Josie's Kitchen

Loved the mango caramel topping:-)Looks yummy

What a gorgeous cake! Lovely twist on the more traditional pineapple version...you've got me thinking of all the wonderful options :)

Lovely ingredients table! Lovely mango upside down - I am sure to like it tad bit more than pineapple upside down considering Mango rules my heart amongst all fruits :) delicious pictures too :)

This looks really delicious, and I LOVE mango. Can't wait to try this method as I really love upside down cake and the caramelized fruit combo...divine!

I finally made this cake and it was delicious. I posted about it on my site and shared some linky love. Check out my post Mango Upside Down Cake on Cook Lisa Cook

Lisa~~

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More