Tuesday, February 15, 2011

FISH KALIA


Time is a very big factor for me........I just dont get time to get everything done.And most of the time the only thing that suffers is my blog. I feel so sad about it but its like helpless :). 

Anyways since today I have some time so decided to share a very simple fish dish that I made this weekend. Every two to three weeks I like to eat fish. The sad story is since I go very late for shopping most of the time I get only Rohu, not sure about its English's name but some forums said that to be known as "Greas Crap Fish" . 

There are several different ways we can cook this fish. This recipe is generally very common in all bengali houses. Its called "Fish Kalia" , but why is it called so or what it symbolizes again no idea all I know is I like this dish :D 


Print Page
Fish
4 pieces
Turmeric Powder
1and half tablespoon
Red Chilli Powder
2 tablespoon
Cumin Powder
Half tablespoon
Green Chilly
2 numbers
Onion
1 medium sized
Ginger Paste
Half teaspoon
Garlic Paste
3-4 cloves
Tomato
2 medium sized
Lemon
1 piece
Yogurt
50 grams
Whole Red chilli
2 numbers
Cumin Seeds
Half tablespoon
Mustard Oil
Half cup
Salt
As per taste


  1. Marinate the fish pieces with half spoon turmeric powder , 1 tablespoon red chilli powder, lemon juice , salt and 1 tablespoon oil. Leave it for 10 min.
  2. Meanwhile, grind together the onion , garlic , ginger and green chilli.
  3. Heat oil in a pan , and fry the marinated fish pieces till it turn brown on both sides. Then remove it in a plate.
  4. Heat oil in the pan again, add the cumin seeds , whole red chilli and bay leaf wait till the cumin seeds splutter.
  5. Add the wet paste and salt to the oil and cook till the oil separates out.
  6. In the meanwhile , boil water in a bowl and blanch the 2 tomatoes in it. Then remove the skin of the tomatoes and whisk it into a puree.
  7. Add the tomato puree to the onion paste in the pan and mix it well. To this add the tumeric powder , cumin powder , red chilli powder and cook till the oil again separates out. 
  8. Whisk the yogurt till smooth and add this to the pan again. And cook for 5 min more.
  9. Add the fried fish pieces to the pan and add 1 cup of warm water and cook till the extra water evaporates and the fish seems softer.
  10. The Fish Kalia is ready to serve.

The dish goes very well with steamed white rice.


Priyanka


11 comments:

Hi priyanka i was wandering for new item with fish and i got it here in your blog lovely and seems good will try it.

Fish kalia looks truly tempting..

you are doing great .. so don't feel too bad! With all the work load, you are able to manage the food blog pretty well .. so kudos sis (((hugs)))

mmm..sounds awesome! Nice combo of flavors!

@Sunshineaaawwwwhhhh....Sis....thanks love you and miss you a lot

Maachher kalia aahaa! my personal fav.. Looks just perfect..

This sounds quite good. It is very difficult to balance all that we have to do. For what it's worth, I think you do a wonderful job. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

It looks hearty and flavorful.

It is good that you try to eat fish often. And about he blogging thing. DO not worry about it. This suppose to be fun and a place for you to share you passion. When you start to feel pressure to post something it is not fun anymore.

Have a great day!

@Mexico in my kitchenThanks dear.....but the problem is I dont feel the pressure in blogging I love it....But its the other things that causes pressure and I cannot do the one thing that gives me happiness :)

I love fish so I'm sure I would enjoy this!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More