Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SOYA BIRYANI WITH VEGETABLES


It was Monday a new week had started and along with that loads of works :) . Its was  very hot in the morning and by evening we had experienced the first rain of the year. It was raining cats and dogs but everyone seems to be enjoying the rain and so was I. I just love the smell of the land after the first rain..... :) 

I also love to see the rain through the window with some pakoda and ginger tea....... somehow it feels just awesome :D . For dinner , if its raining, I love to have khichdi with pickle and brijal fry . Yesterday being a Monday , is the day of the week when I fast and eat vegetarian dishes only, so while I was in office I had already made up my mind to prepare khichdi for dinner.
When I reached home and saw all the vegetables I had at home....my plans had changed. Inspite of being tired and hungry I still decided to make spinach rice with vegetable and crunchy brinjal fry. 

I had got everything prepared and suddenly the electricity went off....I generally happens here when there is heavy rain , so I thought of waiting for some time. Finally after one hour of patience , I started preparing the dish under the flickering candle light. I hate to do anything in the dark but it was an experience......not a very good one really :) .

I have shared the dish with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays {No.21} hosted by Rebecca , Meatless Mondays in My Sweet and Savory , Just another Meatless Monday #48 in Hey What's For Dinner Mom

Print Page
Rice
2 cups
Potatoes
2 medium sized
Carrot
2 medium sized
Spinach
2 bunches
Soya Nuggets 
2 cups
Red Chilli Powder
1 teaspoon
Cherry tomatoes
1 cup
Green Chilly
3 numbers
Onion
1 medium sized
Garlic
5-6 cloves
Refined Oil
Half cup
Salt
As per taste


  1. Soak the rice in water for 5-10 min. This allows the rice to cook faster.
  2. Soak the soya nuggets in water till they soften. Then squeeze out the water for each of the nuggets. 
  3. Cut the potatoes and onions in cubes , the carrots in julienne. 
  4. Makes a smooth paste of spinach with the garlic.
  5. Heat oil in a wok , add half teaspoon red chilli powder in the oil and then add the soya nuggets and fry till they are brown on all sides, remove and set aside.
  6. In the wok, add oil and fry the vegetables. I fried the vegetable separately because I wanted then to keep their color intact.
  7. Heat oil in a cooker, and add the rice and salt. After stirring for 5 min add the spinach puree to the cooker and cook till the water evaporates and the spinach no longer smells raw, at this point just beware that the rice does not stick in the bottom.
  8. And cherry tomatoes and the fried vegetables to the rice and mix them properly.
  9. Add some water and pressure cook the rice. The dish is ready to be served. It tastes awesome with Crunchy Brinjal Fry , the crunchy brinjal fry was prepared the same way as the Crunchy Fish Fry :)

Priyanka


12 comments:

Yummy briyani, would love to have this for lunch.

Awesome presentation!!! Love this healthy & delicious biryani..;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

I made a vegetable biryani, last night and it was great. Now, I would like to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

lovely presentation Priya...yummy

thanks for visiting my blog! your biryani looks absolutely mouthwatering :)

Lovely, and perfectly gluten free! Right up my alley!

Inviting and delicious briyani,yumm!

This sounds like a delicious way of fasting. I like how you adapted to the circumstances.

First time here, dishes looks too tempting, happy to follow you..
http://entepachakalokam.blogspot.com

I love Soya beans in a biryani.. you blog is very innovative and colourful dear, How do you get so many pictures and icons for decoration :) they look lovely ..

An award is waiting for you at my space, do pick it up Gal :)
UK Rasoi

Do visit my space for your lovely participation in ongoing events:
Soup It up
Flavours Of Nepal

Cheers
UK Rasoi

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More