Posto(poppy seeds) and Shorsho(mustard seed) are must-have ingredients in all Bengali household. The are extensively used as a spice in various dishes, be that in vegetable dish or a non-vegetarian dish.
Alu posto is a classical Bengali dish. Most of my bengali friends say "You are not bong if you dont know how to make it" so this recipe is for those friends of mine..Please try this guys and let me know what do you think about my version of Alu Posto :)
|Baby Potato||250 gm|
|Poppy Seeds||2 tablespoons|
|Black cummin||1/4 teaspoon|
|Dried Red Chilly||2 pieces|
|Red Chilly Powder||1/2 teaspoons|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 teaspoons|
|Green Chilli||2 numbers|
- Heat water in a cooker and slightly boil the potatoes with salt. The potatoes should not become soggy.
- Make a smooth paste of the poppy seeds.Cut the green chillies into small sizes.
- Remove the paste into a bowl and add the turmeric and red chilly powder.And mix everything smoothly.
- Heat oil in a kadhi ;add black cummin and dried red chilly.
- Then to the heated oil,add the boiled baby potatoes and green chillies and fry the same.
- When the potatoes are done add the paste mixture and let it cook till the oil separates out. And done :)