Saturday, February 11, 2012

FLORENTINE MAC & CHEESE



Finally the weekend is here...yahoo!!! , I have been waiting for it so eagerly. Last 2 weeks were super hectic , double shifts in office are a serious NO NO but at times we are so helpless. I missed out a lot of things due to this -- cooking , post on my blog , checking out my favorite blogs , watching TV even missed out on Supernaturals and above all SLEEP :) . I have a huge list of tasks to be done in the weekend -- get all the electrical fixings done , shopping , cooking , blogging and catching up with all of my fav. TV shows. Lets see how many can be checked off by Sunday night :) .


All I wanted today was relaxation , and I wanted some type of "comfort food" -- heard a lot about comfort food not sure what it means as I find every food to be very comforting. So I did a bit of research and found of long list of food in that category or as explained by Wikipedia - easy-to-eat, easy-to-digest meal rich in calories, nutrients or both. However my eyes twinkled when I saw Mac & Cheese....who needs an excuse for that :) .


My love for pasta is no secret but off late I have been trying out the lighter versions without cheese so today I was up for some indulgence. I baked the dish as I love those crunchy bites of cheese, then it looked very pale and I wanted some color in my plate thats when Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach came into picture. So I call my variation -- Florentine Mac & Cheese.

Print Page


FOR MAC & CHEESE
Conchiglie pasta 2 cups
Milk 1 cup
Fresh Cream 1 cup
Flour2 tablespoon
Worcestershire sauce3-4 drops
Nutmeg (grated)1 teaspoons
Mozzarella Cheese1 cup
Cheddar cheese1 cup
Butter1 tablespoon
SaltAs per taste
Black Pepper1/4 teaspoon


FOR GARLIC SPINACH
Garlic cloves(grated) 2 numbers
Spinach 2 bunches
Butter1 teaspoon
SaltAs per taste


FOR TOMATO
Cherry Tomatoes 12 numbers
Butter 2 teaspoons
SaltAs per taste


    Mac & Cheese:-
  1. Preheat oven to 180° for 10 min.
  2. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add flour to the melted butter ; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
  3. Add milk to the pan and whisk so that no lumps are formed.
  4. Add cream & worcestershire to the milk mixture and keep whisking till the sauce slightly thickens.
  5. To the cooking sauce , add 1/2 cup of cheddar and mozzarella cheese each. Whisk till the cheeses melt.
  6. Add grated nutmeg , salt and black pepper to the sauce. Remove from flame and set aside.
  7. Boil water in a large pan and add the pasta with salt and a bit of oil. And let it cook till the pasta soften. 
  8. Drain out the pasta and let it run under cold water for a min. 
  9. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well. Pour the prepared pasta on a baking dish.
  10. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the pasta dish and bake for 30-35 min or till the top is browned and cheese is bubbling.

    GARLIC SPINACH & CHERRY TOMATOES:-
  1. Heat butter in a pan , add grated garlic and fry.
  2. Add the spinach to the pan , sprinkle salt and let it cook in low flame.
  3. Fry till the water is evaporated and the spinach is done. Remove and set aside.
  4. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
  5. Melt butter in a pan , add the tomatoes to the pan skin side down.
  6. Sprinkle the salt on the top side. Cook for 5-6 min only and done.


A comfortable meal after all the hectic work was totally refreshing :) .

Priyanka

20 comments:

Nice work Priyanka, I specially love the name :)

Following you now, do visit my space for your kind participation in ongoing events - Soup it up and Flavours of Nepal.

Cheers
UK Rasoi

That looks lovely!
Creamy and yummy!

omg...flavorful & yummy..
excellent presentation ...droooooooooling here..;)
Tasty Appetite

Delicious and wonderful looking preparation. I have already bookmarked it.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

What a great combination of flavors in this florentine mac 'n cheese! I would love to try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Priyanka, I am new to your blog. The Florentine Mac 'n Cheese looks awesome :-)
Cheers

That looks delicious. I made something like that before and the kids loved it!

Dear Priyanka, This looks beautiful. Healthy and delicious! a perfect combination. Blessings my dear, Catherine xo

What a delicious idea!!! Both dishes sound amazing alone, but together makes a fabulous meal!!!

thats an innovative twist on the whole mac n cheese...will try it sometime

There is no better comfort food than mac and cheese. I love how you turned it into a florentine! I hope you get a bit of a break from your busy schedule soon.

Mac n cheese is my absolute favorite, my eldest boy is also a huge fun. You prep with spinach looks really yummy, Priyanka!

What a lovely recipe. This looks and sounds delicious. I'd know I would enjoy a plate of this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

wow such a nice combination. I love mac n cheese. thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful dish......looks awesome........

ooh, this looks incredibly divine + decadent - i could go for some of this mac + cheese right now. yum!

I love your variation on macaroni cheese. I don't know why I didn't think of serving it with spinach.

Medjool dates are a lusciously sweet and tender variety of dates that have been revered for centuries for their rich flavor and numerous health benefits. These succulent fruits, often referred to as the king of dates, are packed with essential nutrients, including a wide range of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6. Beyond their nutritional value, Medjool dates also offer a natural sweetness that makes them an excellent alternative to refined sugars in cooking and baking.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More